Saturday, April 25, 2009

Visiting the Seidels


Having posted on the Linda breakfast, I realize I am way behind on other items, starting with my visit several days earlier with her parents, Don and Pat Seidel. They had been out when I came by in the morning, so I returned following the orienteering meet to try again.

They greeted me warmly and invited me in for a visit. Seeing that I was slightly heated from the exertion of the hike, Don offered me a seltzer, which he said is all his doctor lets him drink anymore. The prescription seems to be working, since he and Pat both seemed to be in very good health, as you can see for yourself in the photo.

Don had some great stories to share about the early days. He recalled that my father was a big help the day the Seidels moved in and discovered the house was without electricity. Stan (who had been in the U.S. Army Signal Corps) rigged up a series of extension cords and strung it over the unpaved street to protect it from vehicles.

According to Don, there was a week or so when I was keeping a toad as a pet, perhaps from the creek or maybe just out of a window well. I had it in a shoebox, hardly a natural environment for an amphibian. But I blamed it on my brother when it up and died—croaked?—a few days later. Evidently he had been poking it with a stick.

Don says I had an elaborate burial on the hill behind the Seidels' house, complete with a headstone of some sort, reading "Here lies Toady Ruby. Murdered by Walter."

I related the story to Walter a few days later when I saw him in New York, and he was still firmly protesting his innocence. It's okay, Walt, the statute of limitations has run out.

Anyway, it was a delight to see the elder Seidels looking so well and their home and neighborhood looking so little changed. With Jackie Fisher, they are the last of the old-time residents. Unfortunately, I had only a little time to spend with them before heading to the airport. I look forward to spending more time with all the Seidels when the gang comes in for that reunion next year.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see Mr. and Mrs. Seidel again! It looks as if they are standing where the swingset used to be. Thanks for these posts, Dan; it's been fun reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see Mr. and Mrs. Seidel looking great and with a hint of spring blooming behind them.

    ReplyDelete