Sunday, April 19, 2009

Running behind on trip updates

Great day yesterday on GVD and in Hartwood Acres. It's Sunday morning and I'm in an Upper West Side apartment where my daughter is cat-sitting. (Yes, Linda, we probably will have time to get together while we're both here--Tuesday could be the best bet. I'll contact you offline.)

Anyway, I finally caught up on sleep but we're headed out shortly for an off-Broadway matinee. So I won't blog in detail now. But here are a few highlights.

The GVD visit worked well. I have photos of every house from several angles. I was able to visit with Don and Pat Seidel (more on that in a future post). Also met the current residents of the Ruby home and got a detailed tour. And also met the new buyer of the Beale home. He did purchase it on foreclosure for $91,500, which he said was about half off. He is renovating and hoping to move in with wife and young daughter next month.

Orienteering was a blast. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and the park was filled with people doing every kind of outdoor recreation, in addition to all the people running around with topographical maps and compasses. I finished two courses--the yellow and the orange--which took me all around the park. Much more to come on that in later posts.

Afterward, I drove down Wildwood to Babcock to McKnight and on to the airport. Total time on the ground in the Pittsburgh area was 26 hours but I managed to pack in quite a lot. I can't wait to come back next spring for the reunion.

1 comment:

  1. Dan: I am so glad to hear that our house has been bought and that the owner is planning to renovate. Funny how attached we feel to our childhood homes, even if we haven't seen them in more than 30 years! It must have been great to be back in your old house...did it seem small? I have a feeling those houses were...cozy. Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete