Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Families of Green Valley Drive

Here is a list of the families on Green Valley as I remember them, in chronological order by house, starting at the top of the street (Thompsons') and working along that side to the end and then back up the other side.
1. Hall Family--There for a couple of years before the Thompsons.  Becky Hall was my age, had several siblings.  Thompsons, of course, had Tom, Trish, Ellen, Nancy and Flip.  (Plus a beagle, right?)
2. Landig Family.  Linda and Michael.  Followed by...I don't remember. A little girl named Carolyn.
3. Ammons Family.  Tom, Ann and Doris.
4. Matter Family.  Donna, Marilyn "Lenny," and Dave.
Then, around the bend to..
5.  Burton Family.  Yes, they did precede the Aruffos.  Two kids, Audrey and I think David.  Then the Aruffos, John and Paul.  Then John, Janet and Mary Ellen Chesley.
6. Ruby Family.  Walter, Danny and Joanne Bathtub.  (Sorry.)  The Yankers rented for a year when the Rubys went to Israel.  Don't remember the name of the family who came next.
7. Kegg Family.  Katie and a little brother.  Then came the Cummings family, Linda and Gary.  Mrs.  Cummings' beautiful garden has been commented on elsewhere.
8.  Weston Family.  Bruce and Brian.  Followed by long-time residents the Heverleys.  Kathy was the daughter, don't remember her brother's name.
Across the street to...
9.  Beale Family.  Peter, Wendy and Meagan.
10.  Bardello Family.  Eleanor, Frannie and Mary Ann.  And a very exotic Grandpa who used to visit.  He was from Italy!  He spoke Italian!  He went into Mrs. Lawrence's woods and picked wild mushrooms to eat!  What if they were poisononous???  Followed by the Harbur Family and then by the Lewis Family.
 10.  Seidel Family.  Davey, Linda, Susie and Tommy.
11.  Hmm... this one is tough.  I do not remember the first family's name.  They had a son named Eric, which Meagan pronounced Earache, because she used to suffer from that particular problem.  They were succeeded by the Kahn Family, Ronald and Maya.  And then came the Fisher Family, with Shelley and Anthony.
Back around the bend to:
12.  Richards Family.  Son Ricky.
13.  Gorman Family.  Debbie and Janey.
14.  Brady Family. Jim (?), David and Wayne.
15.  Putzie Family.  Patty and a very exotic older brother whose name I don't recall. (He was old enough to drive!  And I have an image of him in a leather jacket...could that be?) Then the Littles married into this family.  I'm embarrassed to say that other than Bill, I didn't know these kids.
16.  Ambill Family.  Mark, another boy, and then Danielle.  They were succeeded by, I think, the Presbowitzes.
17.  Yarling Family.  Linda and a brother.  Succeeded by the Moore family.  There may have been someone in between...help is welcome here.
So that is the list as I remember it.  Amendments and additions are welcome.

15 comments:

  1. Great job! What a memory. Maybe you can edit the blog and that will be the official record. Babucci Family was in Landig house at some point. Aruffo had third child Christopher,Mattox Family after Rubys left, Bill Kemp was one of two boys, then the Rossi Family had 2 girls - ? & Lilly, Ernst was first in Fisher house (yes Eric), Brady had a younger daughter, Donna and Bill Little moved in when Ken Little married Mrs Putzie, I think George was the older Putzie boy. Mr Seidel will be able to fill in much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once this list is finalized, I'll put up a prominent link in the sidebar. Is it helpful to attach the street numbers to the houses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It just occurred to me that we could make the header image of the street into an image map so if you click on a house you could go to a page that would be the history of that house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a small but sort of important thing. For the sake of consistency, we should follow certain style conventions. So here is the first rule.

    * Use upper and lower case in post headlines. The first letter of the first word is capitalized. Proper nouns are capitalized. Other words are lower case.

    So the headline for this item should be: "The families of Green Valley Drive"

    I'll be suggesting other style guidelines as we go along, not to be too heavy-handed but to help shape the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding Davey's suggestion above to update this post with new information, I think we should keep this post in Wendy's original form, so that we will have it on record for future reference.

    What if we were to start a separate family census posting for each house of the street? Those posts would be editable to reflect the latest known information about that house.

    I have some of the street addresses. The Beales were at 3991. The Fishers were at 3973.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dan, I was wondering about some of this structure stuff. I have an old copy of a Green Valley Gazette and would like to have a way to show it on the side bar. The house numbers with the family information is an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Becky (in my grade) and Candy Yanker. They stayed in the Hampton Schools but left GVD.
    Kemp name is familiar ... Where were they? Bardellos'?
    Thompson address was 3912.
    Thank you for the Ernsts. And Linda, I remember your "Allergic to penicillin" bracelet. In my old age I too have become allergic to penicillin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found Tusky Remembers (1961-1962) and Tusky In Orbit (1962-1963) ... many children names which I will try to organize somehow. Wendy was on the yearbook staff for Tusky In Orbit ... The Kemp family (2 boys - Larry and Bill) moved in after Lewis ... The Rossi family (2 girls - ? & Lilly) followed Kemp and Mrs Rossi is still there ... I recognize the Yankers from North Hampton but have no memory of them being in Rubys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Przyblak was the correct spelling for the family that moved into the Ambill house. A good old-fashioned Pittsburgh name, no vowels until the end.
    The Brady's had 5 children, Wayne is the only one who sticks in my mind. I was always sure he shot my cat. What happened to him and to Ricky Richards?
    And Patty Putzie is one of the great names in history.
    Wendy, what a memory. David, how much stuff do you have in your house? You should start an archive. I would love to see the Green Valley Gazette, old-school version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also I remember the Keggs had a Halloween party one year, a haunted house in their basement / garage. There was an old wringer washer, and I believe Mr. Seidel was half of a horse? A lot of fun, I must have been 4 or 5. Does anyone else remember that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. After the Landigs were the Shugs who only had very little kids if any. After the Yankers in the Ruby house were the Knapps. They later moved to Iola Street just off Mount Royal Blvd near the Cemetary (I did a lot of work for them in both locations). The Bradys had a younger girl also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The youngest Bradys were Becky and Matthew. Never heard of the
    SHUGS!!! (nor the KEGGS! for that matter). I sustained my only broken limb rolling down the Brady hill in a cardboard box when I was probably too old to be doing such a thing. Then I rode a bicycle that was too big for me and not my own, with a cast on my arm, crashed it and swore my witnessing little brother to secrecy after I thought I had bent it back into shape.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I remember that Holloween party. The Keggs had set up a haunted house maze in their basement, and when you came around the corner, there was the scary sight Meagan was referring to. There was an automatic ironer--two rollers that you would sit in front of and put tablecloths through, for example--and the Keggs had made a body of stuffed clothes that looked as if its head and hands were caught in the rollers. Hard to explain in words, but I've carried that image with me for 50 years! That horse...I always thought Mr. Ruby was one of the men in there. When you tried to look up under the horse to see who it was, you got shot with a water pistol. Very memorable. (Meagan--you are right, they also had a wringer washer.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1. Halls - They had a grease fire in the kitchen. We had the scorched cabinet in our garage all my Green Valley years. Our septic pipes ran uphill, which was the precipitating factor in all the colorful words I learned as a child when my dad raged at our plumbing, the builder, and anyone who got too close. He even dug up the downstairs floor to fix the bathroom. Our cat, followed by many kittens, tromped through the wet cement, leading to more colorful words. Unlike Trish, however, I didn't try out these words publicly as a preschooler.

    2. Landig, then Shug (daughter Caroline and big German shepherd that bit me when I ran into their yard to play with Caroline). Then Bradley's. Wife's name was Janet. I forget the husband's name, but he worked in advertising.

    3. Ammons - Anyone else remember the day the ambulance came for Mrs. Ammons, who had heat stroke/
    exhaustion?

    5. Aruffo - Roy and Nancy; John, Paul and Chris. John was in my class until they moved to Pittsburgh (Oakland? Squirrel Hill?). We visited them after they moved. Their house was the kind of place that made me look for entries to Narnia. I just e-mailed a psychiatrist Roy Aruffo with a wife named Nancy, who are currently living in Houston, hoping to find John, Paul, or Chris.

    8. Heverley Son's name was Timmy. I think my brother Flip played with him.

    12. Richards - Mrs. Richards (Doris?) had her mother living there. One Halloween, I found out why there were big black cases regularly attached to their mailbox. Mrs. Richards' mother was blind, deaf, and her face was concave were her nose would have been. I held my breath while she felt my face. Mrs. Richards assured me that her mother would be able to pick me out of all the trick-or-treaters next year because she would always remember the shape and feel of my face.

    14. Brady - Parents: Jim and Dee. If memory serves, Wayne once walked up the street pulling a pet skunk on a string. One of them had a pet raccoon?

    15. Putzie - I used to sit with George on the porch eating pretzel rods. He had beer and I had cherry pop. I was so sad when he ran off to Detroit, and I couldn't understand why he didn't just come home.

    Patty babysat me one Christmas Eve when I was too sick to go to the family get-together. She actually made it fun.

    There was a path behind Putzie's that led to Farm View. I took Flip up the path. He got attacked by yellow jackets, and I got in big trouble.

    16. Ambils - Other son's name was Bradley (sometimes we called him Bratley). Przybylaks - Dan worked at CCAC. Their kids were Julie and Andrew (I think). Linda and I babysat there. I think they paid 50cents an hour. Less when the kids slept; more after midnight. We used to eat out of the bottom of their ice cream cartons (so they wouldn't know we had eaten their mint chocolate chip ice cream). Later came Don and Ellen (I think) Kil--- Kilden, perhaps? He was a vet. According to my mother, he said he properly handled our pet's bodies, but he later got in trouble for putting dead pets in dumpsters.

    ReplyDelete