Friday, April 17, 2009

Dan's trip part 1: Bucs blank Braves

I'm finally settled in at a motel in Harmar, not far away from GVD and convenient to Blawnox, where I just had a wonderful time seeing Commander Cody & The Lost Planet Airmen, a old favorite. But I'm getting ahead of myself. It's been a long day after having had little sleep the night before. I'll give a quick wrap up now, and follow up with photos and more in the morning.

I arrived in Pittsburgh around 3, got set up with a car, and negotiated heavy traffic to get over to the North Side and PNC Park. The weather was beautiful and lots of folks were tailgating in the parking lots. I hung out for a while too, catching up on phone calls.

The gates opened at 5:30. I bought a "baseline box" in right field for $25, but set up instead on the sunny side in left field for the pregame. I remember as a kid going early to games to see batting practice, and thought that would be on tap today. But the Bucs' practice was already over and the Braves were on the field as I arrived. There were plenty of Braves fans down by the railing trying to talk to players.

Overall, there was a pretty solid turnout of Pirate fans. For someone who always sees the Pirates on the road, it is pretty exciting to be among a crowd of people wearing Clemente jerseys and every other kind of Pirates gear.

We all had plenty to cheer about as Pirates ace Paul Maholm and two relievers shut out the Braves in a 3-0 victory that had numerous defensive gems and some big Pirate hits from Nate McLouth (two-run homer in the eighth) and a pair of solid triples by Brandon Moss and Freddie Sanchez.

These Pirates are probably not talented enough to avoid another losing season, but so far they are playing like they don't know that. I have a sense for the first time in years that something is starting to gel. The pitching has been more than outstanding in the first 10 games. Several shutouts and complete games already.

I chatted with various people but mainly watched the game with another out-of-towner, a career Navy guy from Southern California who is trying to visit a lot of National League ballparks. He was at Turner Field in Atlanta earlier in the week, at PNC tonight, and going to Wrigley tomorrow. His own team is the Diamondbacks. This was his first visit to Pittsburgh and he was much impressed by the stadium and appreciative of the Pirate's rich history.

Closer Matt Capps finished the game with a one-two-three inning. I didn't linger afterwards, because I had another item on my agenda several miles up the river. Commander Cody was due to take the stage at Moondog's Saloon in Blawnox PA at 9:30, about the same time the game ended.

I'll continue in a new post.

1 comment:

  1. Great stories of your trip! Felt like I was there. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete