Monday, April 6, 2009

Outstanding response to author invitation (plus posting tips)

So far we have Tom, Ellen, Linda, Shelley, Nancy, Walter and Bill signed up as authors. I'm sure Meagan, Joanne, David and John will be on board soon. [Oops, I forgot to invite Wendy. Thanks for the heads up, Shelley. Wendy's invite just went out.]

Meanwhile, Tom and Nancy have gotten things off to a great start with their new posts. Tom's item moves the project forward in several ways. First, great images can really bring the memory alive. Inserting images is fairly self-explanatory. The one thing to be careful with is the size of your images, especially if the photos come from your digital camera. I recommend resizing images to 800 pixels wide (or less) before uploading.

Even cooler, Tom has begun making use of labels. Labels is a powerful blog feature that will allow us to categorize posts by topic. My plan was to go back and insert labels on all the old stuff, and then tell you how to do it, but Tom beat me to it. Now I recommend that any time you are posting, you should insert appropriate labels with the post. You can create new labels or select among those already in use (click "Show all" for a list).

I've also added a list of "The Gang" in the sidebar. I could make those into email addresses. We could also add pictures. Also, we should add a link for joining the group. Maybe that would go to someone who is more the group organizer, which is a broader role than my sysadmin function. [I've inserted Nancy in that role, but can substitute someone else who wants to be the recruiter/membership person.]

Finally, also in the sidebar is the nice little slideshow. It is easy to add new images to the slideshow by uploading your photos to a Flickr account (you can create one for free). Once uploaded, tag your photos with the term 'greenvalleydrive'. After a short while your images will start appearing in the slideshow rotation.

1 comment:

  1. Great job Dan. I like the current picture of the street. Did everyone notice the septic pumping station at the end of a new driveway beside Ammons house? Green Valley no longer has septic tanks. If I have this right, it is actually gravity fed from the back of the street (under the fence, Walter) through Hodil's field (past the Shady tree and down to the pumping station.

    ReplyDelete