Sunday, August 23, 2009

Letters to Linda

Linda's parents unearthed a box of old letters. Even the stationery evoked memories of the era:

I found several letters about Jackie’s birthday party. I remembered making the vases as favors for Jackie's party, but forgot that my big brother helped with that. Please disregard my commentary on the brother’s vase. Must have been something I heard someone say (won’t say from whom) since I can’t imagine I had any categories for Freudian vases at that age:




Here’s one about decorating the pool:

For those of you who don't like reading in the round, it explains that we were helping to prepare for the big birthday party and somehow ended up swimming instead. I remember the day’s science lesson about air within the balloons heating and coming into contact with cooler water. I remember getting those balloons out of the pool and carrying them into the house, but I had forgotten that we repeated that whole process several times.

I remember that guests were to draw pictures of Jackie’s inner self. The pictures lined the walls going up the stairs. Here’s mine. Please disregard the bit about worms and realize that I was trying to capture Jackie’s nurturing spirit:


Below you will see precedents for street marriages and for writing a book together:




One thing that comes through in all our letters is how hard it was for all of us to leave Green Valley:


Here's a bit more on the interaction across age differences:

2 comments:

  1. Was I at school? All the way in Pittsburgh, at Chatham?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or was that Nancy? Away at Wooster? Nan - I don't remember you printing so much like me!

    ReplyDelete