Thursday, August 27, 2009

Late summer evenings

This is just a quick impression...I went outside to water the hydrangeas after dinner this evening, and it was just that time of day that I remember as being a sort of bonus play time when we were kids. Dinner was over, dishes were done, and we got to go back outside as the light was fading and the air was actually starting to get a bit cooler. I don't recall that we saw the kids from the front of the street after dinner--usually it was just us from around the bend. In the early years, I seem to remember that we would congregate up on the flat top, and often even our parents came out and, I guess, hung out as we rode around on our bikes or tried out our roller skates. Some of the littler kids might even have been out in their pajamas, having already had their baths, and I suppose their Mothers wanted to savor those last few days of delightful weather, recognizing it wouldn't last for long.
By the way, Happy Birthday today, Tom and Trish!

1 comment: